- Dress appropriately for the occasion. You can learn more about formal dress code etiquette for specific events here. Knowing exactly what to wear saves time and gossip from others talking about how you look.
- Keep it simple. If your makeup is over the top, the trends are too extreme, or you find yourself fidgeting with fixing your outfit — it’s too high maintenance and worth leaving out.
- Wear what suits your lifestyle and the things you know you’re going to wear. If I have a pair of strappy sandals that take me ten minutes to put on, I end up not wearing them regularly. Be realistic about your lifestyle attire and make sure you actually use it.
- Create a Uniform. I have one here to guide you on what I personally wear daily. These are all items in my closet structured around weekly activities, yet are timeless and smart enough for glamourous celebration. This way you don’t have to think about looking good, because everything matches your style and you know each piece looks good on you.
- Only wear natural fibres. In The Uniform I have so many affordable silks, cashmeres, cottons, and wools that make having natural fibres accessible in your wardrobe. The drape on your figure is quite the difference in comparison with the sad stiffness of polyester. One wash can also destroy the petroleum material. It also makes you sweat, spreads bacteria, and only looks good the first time you wear it.
- Make sure it fits. If you are still saving up for a made-to-measure wardrobe, go back into your closet to find your favourite garments that make you look and feel like a million bucks. See what you like about them — the cut, material, fit, collar, cuffs, and other details. You will find yourself reaching for these the most and will buy more clothes not too far from these styles.
- Find a tailor any time you want a similar item to fit you the same, bring the lookalike from your closet to your new friend. Yes, create a relationship with your fabulous tailor after finding the right one. Style is a lifetime affair, and so is your familiarity with the wonderful people who help you look good.
- Follow me on Pinterest @giagdixon. I have tons of outfits dedicated to each season that I do not have anywhere else. You can take a deep dive to see what is worth wearing in the next 100 years from your wardrobe, because these designs were also worn 100 years ago. In other words, these ensembles stood the test of time.
- Sign up to my monthly moodboards. It’s 100% free and the only place I send personally curated classic style that will change your view on trends forever. Trends are only people telling you what to wear. These moodboards guide you to what actually looks good on you through any stage of life sent to your inbox every month.
- Follow me on LTK @giagdixon. Dressing elegantly is my life as you will see in the only place I post daily if you want real time practical inspiration on what to wear for the day. Outfits post 7am EST. Here are my daily looks below.
Click any of the images to shop the outfit.
Gia G. Dixon
I’m Gia G. Dixon, an ILM certified etiquette consultant. Here is my guide to elegant style, high quality living, and little things that make your daily life glamorous.
Find me on: Web
You must log in to post a comment.